Friday 20 November 2015

Notes on Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue

Today's post is on Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue (UGB).

No it isn't a review, already did one previously.

I thought I'll just chat about this ink.

If you know me, you'll know I'm a big fan of blue. A really big fan. Perhaps it's the little rebellious streak in me, to fight against the "rule" that teachers prefer black. Perhaps it's the range of blues that one can get, from sky blue, baby blue to even midnight blue. But whatever it is, it is THE ink colour for me.

So, upon my journey into the FP world, I went searching for a good blue that I wanted to use permanently. It started with a sample of Noodler's Liberty Elysium (LE) from Sunny (of straitspen.com). I fell in love with that rich blue tone. My all time favourite ink. Did I mention it was water resistant too? Thus, I plunged in, and now have 1.5 bottles of the stuff.

Fast forward to October 2015. I received four ink samples from a lovely FPNer kpatters5274. In it, there was Noodler's Tiananmen, Noodler's Antietam, UGB and R&K Alt-Bordeaux. The reddish toned Tiananmen, Antietam and Alt-Bordeaux didn't do much to me (maybe because I've already found my perfect red in Pelikan Edelstein Garnet. If I want something more muted, Diamine Oxblood).

But that blue. That UGB. It had my attention.

Strange really. Come to think of it, I've only really been interested in bright blues. Yet here was a muted, chalky blue that had me spellbound.

How spellbound? It's my new favourite ink and it's constantly competing with LE for use. Oops.

The good news is, I'm getting a bottle of it at the next pen meet.
The bad news is, I cleaned out one barrel in 3 days. That's even faster than my school days.

Let the battle of the blues begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment